Boat Maintenance Living Aboard a Boat Ramblings From the Dockside Monday, July 18, 2016S.V. CAMBRIA
What happened to Saturday? It was the biggest question on my mind this week. I didn’t forget to pull a page off the calendar. It didn’t get lost in the shuffle of a busy week. And it didn’t, by some super natural means, just vanish into thin air. No, I slept through the whole day, missing it entirely which is why I’m summing up our week on Monday rather than Sunday.
We had a plan, but plans are meant to be changed: David got the oven working again Sunday morning, so we were going to up anchor and leave Pruth Bay behind for Burke Channel until he received an email from some friends of ours. They were six miles south of Cape Caution and on their way to meet us. So, we stopped getting the boat ready to go and sent them an email back saying we’d be waiting.
For the next three nights, we rafted together in different anchorages – Pruth Bay, Sea Otter Inlet and Shearwater. During the day we moved, taking advantage of the southerly winds blowing in Fitz Hugh Sound. And in the evening we shared stories and meals aboard each other’s boat, doing our best to make the most of our short time together before they continued on to their final destination: Alaska.
|Thanks to Laurie, we finally have a picture of us aboard Cambria.|
It was a lot of fun, but it was also tiring. Not used to being so social, I was wiped out by the time we said our goodbyes. So, we upped anchor and motored through Gunboat Passage to a canny little spot called Forit Bay for the night. Come Thursday, it was David’s turn to be tired but he was able to push through his fatigue and we finished off the passage to Ocean Falls where we tied up to the dock and walked up to the lodge to say hello to our friends who own the place, Rob and Corrina Darke. By now you must be picking up on one of the major themes for this cruising season – visiting friends. And because I finally fessed up about our plans to sell Cambria and move back to England, it’s all probably starting to make sense.
The barometer had been on the rise over the last several days and the sun finally showed its face on Friday. I got to work first and pulled out the hose and brushes to give Cambria’s topside a good cleaning, leaving David to his own devices in the afternoon while I went out for a walk around town to take some pictures. I stopped by the lodge on my way back to the boat to see if Rob and Corrina were headed to the pub in Martin Valley, a big event in Ocean Falls. They said they were going at 4 o’clock but needed to be back by 5:30 pm to get dinner out for the logging crew that was staying with them. An hour and a half? Perfect! I’d have a couple of beers and still have plenty of time to get dinner ready myself. David wanted to finish what he was working on, so I hitched a ride with them and said I’d be home soon. I’ll just end the story with this word of advice: Don’t go out drinking with loggers because they’re very generous when it comes to buying rounds but, if you do, make sure you read the alcohol content on the can before you start throwing them back.
Saturday’s a blur. My best guess is that David spent the day working on the boat and poking his head into our cabin every now and then to see if I was still alive (unfortunately, yes). He also made a decision: Neither one of us could seem to figure out how long we wanted to stay in Ocean Falls, hemming and hawing every time we broached the subject because being tied up makes getting things done so much easier . . . and we hate being tied up. So, he took the bull by the horns and booked us in for a full month. Sound drastic? Yeah, I suppose it is. But we’re both eager to put Cambria on the market and move on to our next adventure.
It’s not going to be all work and no play: Eucott Bay and its natural hot springs are only 30 miles away and Roscoe Inlet, one of British Columbia’s most beautiful fjords, is equally as close. Corrina and I are hatching plans to do some kayaking on Link Lake. Rob wants to take us out salmon fishing. There’s supposed to be a good hike or two leading to an overlook around here. And we still plan to make a trip up to Gardner Canal before we have to be south of Cape Caution the first of September. But, in the meantime, there’s a long list of jobs to do and, now that summer has finally arrived, we can finally get to it!