Happy 60th, David

Monday, April 18, 2011S.V. CAMBRIA

David preparing to blow out the candles on his 60th birthday cake.

Normalcy is taking hold again, as it tends to, and we're beginning to make an impact in the list of things we need to do before we can officially drop our lines and head north for the summer.

But first thing was first and, when we got back to Washington, the boat was in a state of disarray.  Cambria had been wet with condensation this winter so, before we left in December, I pulled everything out of cubbies, wardrobes, cabinets and bilges to allow air to circulate around the hull.  And it all had to be put back.  Six hours and several bruised shins, twisted knees and cut hands later most everything, including the truckload of stuff we'd managed to acquire over the past four months, found a place to live (or hide) and we could move on to the next jobs – provisioning (me) and preparing the boat for her survey (David).  In the meantime, I had his 60th birthday to plan.

Friday was the official start of the celebration with presents (a new guitar strap and guitar book), breakfast (his favourite meal), congratulatory phone calls, and dinner with friends (though we had treated ourselves to a Buddy Guy concert while in Kansas and gone out to dinner with his son while in San Diego).  But the real celebration wasn't until Sunday when I had a party for him here at the marina clubhouse.  Living in such close quarters, a surprise was out of the question, but we both managed to be amazed by how many people were actually able to come, including our friends, Bill and Sylvia Emmens who drove six hours to be here.

It turned out to be a brilliant evening – I couldn't have asked for things to have gone more smoothly – and everyone seemed to have a good time, especially David who always enjoys the opportunity to be the center of attention (hee hee).  We kept it simple: a little food, a little drink and catching up with friends, old and new alike.  Most people left by 10 o'clock, but the highlight of the night, for me,came after that when we were able to sit down and relax with the few remaining friends to talk about our plans for the upcoming cruising season, among other things.  But all good things must come to an end and, by the time 12:30 am had rolled around, we all said our good-byes and locked the doors behind us.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped make David's 60th special!

You Might Also Like