Boat Maintenance Living Aboard a Boat

Sum It Up Sunday: What's New Aboard Cambria?

Sunday, February 09, 2014S.V. CAMBRIA

Ice surrounded the boat all day Thursday and into Friday morning.

Hardly a thing.

We’ve been back in Washington for two weeks now, but the focus of our lives remains the same as it was in Kansas:  Sally the Dog.  We did, however, make some time for the boat as well. 

It’s been an extremely cold week here in Western Washington.  Bone chilling, in fact.  We’ve had ice on the water inside the marina twice and last night it snowed, leaving a dusting behind.  The good news in all of this is that the freezing temperatures should kill off the bug larvae and we may not be bothered by deer flies this summer. 

We woke up to about an inch of snow this morning.

As if we didn’t already have enough to worry about with Sally, the cold has really upset her arthritis and we haven’t been able to keep her as active and as engaged as we’d have liked throughout the week.  But looking back and taking it in as a whole, it’s easy to see that we’ve had some significant improvement:  She slept through the night three times this week (okay, once it was only until 4:30 am, but I can live with that).  When you’re starting at zero, that’s a huge change.   

The addition of Tramadol to her daily regimen had little effect, so we started her on a supplement called Senilife on Monday.  Most people see an improvement after a week, but we think our success has been more a product of stimulating Sally, bringing her to familiar places and keeping her awake during the day, than anything else.  We’re more excited about a product we learned about yesterday called Canna-Pet, but we’ll give the Senilife a chance before we move on to the next thing.  If it sounds like we’re grasping at straws, you’re right.  But as long as she’s safe and happy, we’ll try anything.

Like everyone else in the state of Washington, we watched the Seahawks win the Super Bowl last week and had hoped to go to the celebration parade on Wednesday but ended up spending most of the day inside with the heater cranked and taking Sally for a walk on the beach.  We were a little disappointed to miss out on all the fun, but it sounds like it was more hassle than it was worth so, in the end, we’re glad we opted to spend the time with the pup. 

David’s been researching options for replacing our house batteries most of the week and it looks like we finally made a decision.  Now it’s down to ordering the behemoths, something I’m sure we’ll put off a while longer:  The idea of taking three 150 pound blocks of lead out of a small compartment and off the boat is a little daunting, to say the least. 

He’s also been working on a plan for installing Sylvania Mosaic LED lights throughout the boat.  It’s a long story that will require its own blog once the process is finished (which could be another five years) but our headliner is falling down throughout the boat.  We’ve done what we can to reattach it, but the edges are sloppy in places so David came up with the idea to add the light strips and trim the area off with oak pieces.  I think it’s going to look really nice AND we’ll have red lights throughout the boat for when we’re on a night passage (not to mention ambient lighting for the evenings).

As for me, I can’t say that I’ve been up to much.  Sally’s been my main focus along with catching up with some writing and researching our options for data coverage while we’re in Canada this summer (neither of which is going particularly well).  I received an e-mail asking permission to republish one of my blog entries on a national website, which is a great way to promote our own site so I’m excited about that.  I also managed to squeeze in a book and start a knitting project along the way but, other than that, not much is happening with me.     

That’s our week in a nutshell.  I have absolutely no idea what we’ll find ourselves up to in the coming days.  But that’s the beauty of this lifestyle, isn’t it?  

You Might Also Like