We left Bottleneck Inlet that morning. The conditions had settled down significantly from the weekend, but we still had to battle against 15 to 20 knots of wind on the nose and were only making an average of 4.5 knots over ground: We wanted to get off Finlayson Channel and
(via Jackson Passage) was our best option. I was rooting for Oscar
Passage myself, but that was 10 miles further south and added an extra five
miles to the overall trip. Jackson Narrows
As soon as we made the turn into Jackson Passage, the wind died out and it started to pour (again) reducing our visibility. I can honestly say I’ve had enough of the season. It’s hard to get my head around how much it’s rained over the last several days . . . or explain the massive walls of water that pass over the boat so loudly they can wake you up from a deep sleep. I feel worn down, beaten and am seriously sick and tired of this – I call uncle! So does David. We just want it to clear out long enough to get the hell out of here.
But I Digress
We’ve had some incredible experiences this year, but we’ve had to fight hard for ever mile we’ve earned (or at least it feels that way right now). When you’re looking at a 3,000+ mile season, it takes a toll – mentally and physically. If I could have one wish granted it would to be somewhere sunny and warm, wearing next to nothing and walking around in bare feet – as nature intended. Not being here wearing layers with greasy hair and dreaming about my next shower. But it is what it is and I’d have to settle for the comfort and protection of
where we waited out the last of the weather. Oliver Cove Marine Park
Light at the End of the Tunnel
A beautiful, sunny day can go a long way to help rejuvenate tired sailors. We left Oliver Cove yesterday, finally making it to Shearwater where the sun showed its face and we had a very busy day – filling the tanks with fuel, propane and water; taking hot showers, doing laundry and changing out the raw water pump (which went from a drip to a gush as we were approaching the dock). We were off and running again this morning, making way for Fury Cove – our jumping off point to round Cape Caution – and things are starting to look up: the forecast is good (for a change), we had a nice sail down Fitz Hugh Sound and, with the miles we made over the last few days, we’re finally starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Note: This blog was written on Thursday, 03 September 2015.